Marriage is a lifelong commitment. The two people involved in it are required to look after each other and cater to each other’s needs. A marriage cannot work if your spouse is not mindful of your needs and is not willing to serve you. Both partners must be ready to serve each other. They should not have to seek out another beyond their marriage to fulfill their needs. It’s a partnership. Want to know more about how you can serve your spouse? Let’s find out –
- Don’t overlook their needs – Men and women have separate needs. Both are equally important and both need to be met. In order to have your spouse’s needs met, give them a patient hearing. Then understand what they need and try to meet this need to the best of your capacity. Don’t ignore their needs in favor of yours.
- Derive joy from being able to serve them – Don’t do things for them begrudgingly or because you think it is your spousal duty. Besides the fact that you vowed to serve each other in your vows, you should feel happy for being able to help your significant other.
- Stop keeping score – You can’t apply – “You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” in a marital relationship. Marriage doesn’t work like that.
- Allow yourself to be vulnerable – You have to have unlimited communication between your spouse and yourself. Putting up walls between yourself and your spouse will do your marriage more harm than good.
- Let them know that you value their inputs – Your spouse needs to know that their opinions matter in your decision-making. You need to make them feel necessary in your life lest they feel neglected.
- Praise their efforts – It is essential to acknowledge and uphold your SO’s contributions even if they don’t always pay off.